Thursday, March 5, 2009

Farewell my friend :(

This morning was probably the worst moment in all of my Dallas Cowboys-loving life. My dad woke me up in a panic to let me know that Dallas has just released Terrell Owens. Now to many of you, this was a move the Cowboys should have made eons ago. However it is my belief that this was just another foul up by the team owner Jerry Jones. Throughout this post season Jerry has been quite convincing whenever asked by the media that the Cowboys would at least be keeping TO on for another season to finish out his 4-year contract. As of last night, Jerry Jones became a HUGE liar! To me it's a shame that this has happened. We still owe him around $9 million - why not use him for one more year to make that money worth something! He may be showing some age in his game, but he is still one of the hardest working football players around. For those of you who watched the Cowboys on HBO's Hard Knocks last year, you were introduced the fun-loving, hard working, and team spirited Terrell Owens. He isn't the monster that the media makes him out to be. One thing is for sure - whoever winds up with him as a wide receiver will feel just as lucky as I have over the past 3 years to have him on my team. I know that when TO received the call from Jerry letting him know that he was no longer a Cowboy that he was probably devastated like the rest of us are right now. He has said on multiple occasions that his intent was to retire as a Cowboy.
Now on a brighter note, according to a reporter down in Dallas, this break off is not due to personal issues between the team and TO. The reason it seems is that Dallas is looking to go a different route than that of using TO as a receiver. It seems that the current plan is to develop what receivers we have (Roy Williams, Sam Hurd, Miles Austin, Patrick Crayton) and build the team up from young talent rather than using old veterans. I mean I fully understand that, but another year of TO wouldn't have ruined that. If anything they could use TO to train these young boys to play as creatively as he does.
Well for now, I guess it's just a game of wait and see as to what team will wind up lucking out and getting Terrell Owens on their team. Until then - hang in there buddy!

Below enjoy some of my favorite footage of TO doing his thing as a Cowboy - and to TO - we'll miss you!

No comments:

Post a Comment